Coloring Books: They Aren’t Just for Kids Anymore!Lifestyle & Activities | June 7, 2016
For years, coloring was considered a child-only activity; a great way to keep the little ones occupied and quiet for a short time. However, in more recent years, adult coloring books have entered the market and started a new craze of sorts. No longer associated only with kids, coloring has been shown to have many therapeutic benefits for adults of all ages.
Art therapy has long been proven as beneficial to seniors. Studies have shown that seniors who participate in art projects tend to use less medication and visit the doctor less often, and they often experience less depression. Whether art is practiced as a hobby, a career, or even a lifelong dream they’ve wanted to fulfill, it’s clear that using some creativity can improve overall quality of life.
Benefits of Adult Coloring Books for Seniors
Coloring has been found to be a meditative activity for seniors. Why is meditation important? First of all, it has been shown to increase the brain tissue connecting the two hemispheres, which activates both logic and creativity. Logic helps us choose the color for a particular section, while creativity helps us mix and match colors. Using both hemispheres together can help improve brain function and memory.
Some of the other main benefits adult coloring books offer to seniors include:
- Alleviates stress. As seniors color, stresses of the day start to disappear as they get lost in their latest design. You essentially forget your troubles while you’re involving in a coloring activity.
- Reduces anxiety. Coloring helps you relax and lessen anxiety, which has been linked to a number of symptoms such as headaches, nausea, insomnia, excessive worry, and more.
- Improves mood. As you start to relax when you color, your mood will improve and help you become more worry-free, even if only for a little while.
- Promotes social interaction. Coloring with others and sharing your latest projects keeps you socially active and engaged with others; plus, it’s a great activity to enjoy with your grandchildren!
- Provides a feeling of accomplishment. Art is a process of creating something from nothing; and bringing a design to life with beautiful colors gives a satisfied sense of accomplishment.
- Brings back a youthful feeling and memories. Coloring books for seniors can help bring back those stress and worry-free days of childhood, and those happy memories can further help you relax and unwind, ultimately boosting your energy and mood.
- Improves hand-eye coordination and helps maintain motor function. Coloring involves small, purposeful movements that can improve and maintain hand-eye coordination and motor skills.
The best part of coloring is that you don’t have to be a skilled artist to enjoy it. You can simply find a picture that entices you and color it any way you choose, using colored pencils, crayons or watercolor pencils. There are a wide variety of adult coloring books on the market today featuring everything from random designs to nature scenes. Rediscover your inner child by trying out an adult coloring book!
For more information about American Senior Communities, please visit www.ASCSeniorCare.com.