The Best Gifts for Seniors in Assisted LivingAssisted Living, Lifestyle & Activities | December 11, 2014
If you’re wondering what on earth to buy this season for your loved ones currently residing in an assisted living facility, our holiday gift guide is here to help! Shopping for gifts for seniors can be difficult- after all, they’ve had a lifetime full of gifts and may not necessarily really “need” anything at this point. But there are plenty of fun ideas for gifts that they will cherish and find useful.
Gift Ideas for Seniors
If you’re struggling for some unique gifts for your aging loved ones, here’s a list of a few ideas to consider:
- Restaurant gift cards: While a gift card might not seem like the most exciting gift in the world, what you’re really giving your loved one is the gift of your time and companionship. Put a note with the gift card stating that you’ll be happy to take them out for a nice dinner when they’re feeling up for it and want to get out for a little while.
- Gift baskets: You can really go all out and create a custom gift basket full of things your loved one needs or enjoys. Fill it with pajamas, slippers, and a large-print book for a cozy night in. Or, bake some of their favorite goodies and create a basket full of treats- cookies, hot chocolate and cute napkins.
- Scrapbook or photo album: Give your loved one the gift of memories by putting together a scrapbook or photo album. You can include old photos if they are available, or simply create a more recent album full of family members and friends- or all of the above! If you’re crafty enough to assemble a scrapbook, these gifts are a great way for your loved ones to remember all the important people in their lives.
- Extra-bright reading lamp: For seniors who love to read the paper, the latest novels, or simply sit and do a crossword puzzle but may be having issues with their eyesight, an extra-bright reading lamp offers the perfect solution for them to still enjoy doing the things they love without putting too much strain on their eyes.
- Foot massager: Help ease your loved one’s aching feet with an electronic foot massager. Most models on the market today include vibration and heat to massage away the pain after a long day.
- Blankets or throws: Everyone loves a cozy fleece blanket or throw, especially during these cold winters. Maybe your loved one lost their spouse recently- a wonderful idea is to take some of their old clothing and have it made into a custom quilt. Your loved one will have the memory of their spouse close to them always this way. Or, many companies offer custom photo blankets. You could get a blanket created using pictures of grandkids or family.
- iPad or tablet: While it’s true that some seniors might be wary of technology, iPads and tablets are easy for them to use with their touchscreens and large display options. After a quick tutorial, we bet your loved one won’t want to put their new toy down! The ability to play games that stimulate the brain, have access to library books at the touch of a button, and even help them with medication management makes these items perfect gifts for seniors.
Purchasing any of these gifts for seniors is a great way to help show how much you love and appreciate them. However, remember that sometimes the most important gift you can give is the gift of your time. Watching the happiness on your loved one’s face as they open presents or just sit and enjoy your company is a gift to you, too.
For more information about American Senior Communities, please visit www.asccare.com.