Holiday Decorating Ideas for a Festive SpaceLifestyle & Activities | December 2, 2014
Now that Thanksgiving is over it’s time to start dipping into your bag of holiday cheer and get ready for the holiday season. It’s a time full of memories and traditions, and what better way to lift your spirits than to transform your living space into a festive holiday area?
Easy Holiday Decorating for Small Spaces
You may not have room for a giant 9 foot tall Christmas tree and all the normal trimmings, but there are plenty of other ways to spruce up your living space with some holiday decorations. Here are some great holiday decorating ideas you can utilize to add some festive cheer to the season:
- Get a mini Christmas tree: A mini tree is the perfect solution for a small space. You can set it on an end table or dresser and adorn it with your favorite ornaments from the past. If you have a houseplant in your room, you can even decorate that in lieu of a small tree!
- Use the windows: The windows are another easy area to decorate in your room. You can add a wreath with some battery-operated, LED lights or candle sticks for a lovely, cozy glow. Battery-operated candles are perfect, since there is no flame involved and no cords to tangle up on the floor that could potentially cause a fall. They come in all sizes, even tealights, so you don’t be afraid to display those lovely holiday candleholders you have. Another idea for your windows are holiday-themed, removable decals. Your grandkids will love to help you stick those up, too!
- Swap out year-round décor for holiday items: Remove some of the knick-knacks and photos that sit on tables, desktops and the walls and replace them with holiday-themed items like holiday photos and figurines like snowmen or a nativity scene. Hang stockings and ornaments from dresser drawers or bookshelves to utilize space you have.
- Liven up your doorway: Hang some sparkly tinsel garland or some artificial pine garland around your door for a welcoming look. This can even do double duty to hang and display the holiday cards you receive this time of year!
- Make your own decorations: You don’t have to be super crafty to create some fun, new decorations. Invite your grandkids over for an afternoon of creativity to make ornaments out of items like felt, corks, beads or buttons. Check out some of the cute ideas on this website: http://www.redtedart.com/2013/10/03/homemade-ornaments-christmas/.
Make it a family affair! Ask family members to help you decorate and create new, lasting memories. The holidays offer a chance to gather with the ones you love and cherish the time you spend together. Your room can be a special, warm and inviting living space throughout the season with just a few easy changes.
For more information about American Senior Communities, please visit www.asccare.com.