Maintaining independence is an important priority for people as they age, and so is having the right resources on hand to help maintain their best quality of life. Is there a way to have the help one needs to still be as independent as possible? Yes, and it’s called assisted living.
What is Assisted Living?
Simply stated, assisted living communities provide older adults with various levels of personalized care in a residential setting. These communities generally offer a home-like setting, they’re designed to promote the independence of their residents, and they offer varying degrees of assistance to help their residents with daily living.
What are the Benefits of an Assisted Living Community?
There are more benefits to an assisted living community than simply getting a helping hand. The right community can significantly increase the quality of life for a person or a couple needing some assistance, and in addition, make life easier for their main caregiver (usually a loved one). Days of caregiving, complicated by appointments, responsibility and worry can return to pleasant and gratifying visits and outings where time is spent truly enjoying one another’s company.
What are Some Signs That it May Be Time For Assisted Living?
How do you know it may be time for you or your loved one to make the move to assisted living? Below are some of the issues that, if they are becoming more prevalent, may signal that it’s time to learn more about assisted living communities in your area:
- Experiencing one or more falls, with or without injury.
- Meal preparation is becoming more difficult.
- You’ve noticed signs of hunger or that nutritional needs aren’t being met.
- It’s becoming more difficult to safely maneuver around the house or in public. Driving may be impacted as well.
- More help is needed getting dressed, bathing, managing medication or with other activities of daily living.
- You have worries about isolation and/or safety.
If these are issues or events that are becoming concerning, it may be time to explore assisted living options for yourself or your loved one.
What Services Do Assisted Living Communities Provide?
The services offered by assisted living communities vary between communities but in general, services often include:
- One to three meals a day
- Monitoring of medications
- Personal care, including dressing and bathing
- Housekeeping and laundry
- 24-hour emergency care
- Some medical services
- Social and recreational activities
- Transportation services
What Should I Look For in an Assisted Living Community?
Gather information online and tour several assisted living communities in your area in order to ask questions and see for yourself what you can expect. Ask about licensing, staffing and services available. Take in the atmosphere, the friendliness of the community, the overall design, and the layout of the individual living areas. It’s also important to cover cost and all financial options.
As you think about assisted living as an option, remember that it’s not about giving up your independence or all the good parts of life, it’s more about acquiring the right kind of assistance for you or your loved one. That assistance can go a long way toward maintaining a higher quality of life.
American Senior Communities Assisted Living
At American Senior Communities (ASC) we focus on our residents’ physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual well-being through person-centered care. Our assisted living communities are designed to allow you to choose what assistance you may require and adjust as your needs change. Each of our thoughtfully designed assisted living apartments can be complemented with supportive services including housekeeping, meals and personal health care and fitness.
Services & Amenities Include:
- Maintenance-free (interior and exterior)
- 24-hour emergency response system
- Outpatient Therapy
- Transportation services
- All utilities included
- Kitchenettes and all-day, restaurant style dining
- Beauty/Barber Shop
- Accepting Veterans benefits, long term care insurance and Medicaid Waiver at select locations
- Weekly housekeeping and linen services
- Life enhancing activities through our customizable THRIVE Wellness Program
- 24-hour licensed nurse available
- Professionally staffed fitness center
- Respite (short-stay) available
- Memory Care neighborhoods providing many of the same services and also including professional dementia supportive services
- SMART Solutions, designed to make your next move seamless and worry-free
Services and amenities vary based on location and availability.
At ASC, our goal for this blog post is to help you understand assisted living better, and to help you make an informed decision when choosing the best care option for you or your loved one. As experts in senior living, we take our investment in you and your family seriously. We proudly offer a multitude of options that will entice and reassure you and your loved ones as you take your next step into a new chapter in your life, one with purposeful living and continued personal growth. For more information on an ASC assisted living community near you visit us at ASCCare.com/AL.