From greater reliance on technology to more demand for people in the caring professions, the job market continues to evolve. Workers are increasingly forced to consider making a change. Whether you are a new graduate interested in mapping out your future or someone seeking to transition to a new line of work, finding an industry with advancement opportunities is key. As is a company that invests in career paths.
While moving ahead in your career doesn’t necessarily require you to stay with the same employer, there are many advantages to doing so. From job security to accruing benefits, the advantages of joining and remaining with a company that has defined career paths are numerous.
What Is a Career Path?
A career path is typically defined as a series of jobs that helps you reach both your short- and long-term career goals. In some instances, it is a progressive, upward path that allows you to ultimately arrive at your desired position in an industry. For example, a teacher who works in the school system might hope to eventually become a principal or superintendent. A marketing professional in an assisted living community may desire to become an executive director of a community or a regional sales manager.
In other situations, a career path might actually involve moving from one job to another within the same organization. A team member who is interested in switching fields might make a lateral move or even a step backward to have the chance to try something new.
A Growing Industry: Senior Care Market Predicted to Climb by Almost 7%
At a time when many industries are declining or remaining stagnant, the senior care market is expected to grow 6.8% by 2028. That should come as no surprise given these statistics about our older population:
- The number of senior adults will reach 72 million by 2030, according to the U.S. Census Bureau’s Population Estimates branch.
- By 2035, for the first time in the history of this country, there will be more people over the age of 65 than those under 35.
- Since 2011, when the first of the Baby Boomer generation reached full retirement age, the senior population has grown by more than one-third.
Depending on your interests and experience, the senior care industry is full of opportunities, from nursing and therapy to culinary and administrative positions. At American Senior Communities (ASC), caring, committed team members have many options for career growth.
Opportunities Abound at ASC
As one of Indiana’s leading senior care employers, ASC offers a variety of full- and part-time jobs across a wide range of professions. A few of our most popular career paths and advancement programs include:
- Nurse Aide Training Program: At our communities, certified nurse aides provide person-centered care to residents. It’s an ideal position for those who enjoy working with the senior population. When you enroll in this program, ASC will pay you as you go through the training. While many people find this to be a lifelong calling they are happy to continue, others go on to pursue a licensed practical nurse (LPN) or registered nurse (RN) degree.
- Opportunities to Nursing Excellence (O2NE): This unique program allows frontline employees to obtain LPN or RN degrees. Tuition and fees are fully paid for team members selected for this program, and their work schedule is reduced to allow them to attend classes and study. They are also assigned an ASC counselor who acts as a mentor while they work their way through school.
- Culinary Apprenticeship Program: Those who enjoy cooking but don’t have any formal education in the culinary arts might be interested in this opportunity. This one-year, paid apprenticeship guides participants through a track that moves from culinary aide to prep cook and, finally, cook. The program is a Registered Apprenticeship with the Department of Labor and approved by the Indiana Board of Health.
Visit our online Career Center to learn more about current job openings, benefits and perks, as well as watch videos of team members discussing their careers at ASC!